Thursday, August 28, 2008

oh happy day


Is anyone else excited about watching the DNC tonight? Do regular people do that? I must confess that I've been catching up by watching speeches as YouTube videos, but still -- in my short voting career (this will be the third presidential election in which I'm allowed to vote), no campaign summer has ever felt as magnetic.

My hope for this evening: Obama needs to make us feel good by ripping up the Republicans, not by being warm and fuzzy. So come in swinging, Barack!

It seems like a do-or-die moment that might come out okay...I'm sure this hasn't been the first time, and I probably felt like this last time too, but today I think that the possibility does exist that things will get better. We really could elect someone who won't, as Hillary said on Tuesday, "squander the promise of a country that really fulfills the hopes of our people." She nailed it.

Normally we love your phone calls, but tonight you'll get no answer -- at least during the speech. I'm going to be glued to our 13-inch TV, an Obamatini in hand (and, yes, with pinky extended). And because I knew you would ask:

the obamatini
(developed by the Sisters Cliffe on
the evening of the 2008 Iowa Caucuses)

ingredients
1.5 oz. Absolut Kurant
.5 oz. triple sec
.5 oz. pomegranate juice
lime juice
Prosecco
twisty lime rind

directions
Combine vodka, triple sec, and pomegranate juice in a shaker filled with ice. Shake. Pour into a martini glass. Give it a squeeze of lime juice. Top off with Prosecco, and twirl the twist of lime rind around the rim of the glass and toss it in.

And if you think that will get you feeling a little too festive, I had great luck with swapping in ginger ale for the Prosecco. Pure cranberry juice also works as a delicious substitute for pomegranate juice. I actually prefer it in the lower alcohol version.

Photo courtesy of the Christian Science Monitor

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I am! Excited about the Democratic Convention, that is. Have been watching the whole choreographed thing (I remember conventions being a lot different in "the olde days") and can hardly wait to see how Obama decides to present himself. I think last night's speakers did a great job of attacking - I'll be happy with a dose of 'Hope-filled and Inspiring.'
I think I may follow the recommended Obamatini with a little ice cream...This recipe was tested and approved at a recent Cliffe Family Sunday Dinner:
1)Place 3 Tablespoons sugar, 1 Cup light cream (half & half) and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a quart-size heavy zip-loc plastic bag and seal. 2)Place that bag in a gallon size heavy zip top bag. Layer ice and rock salt in the gallon bag and seal. 3) Toss the bag back and forth for approximately 10 minutes and - voila! - it's ice cream :) We found out: you can substitute coarse salt for rock salt; it's best not to use ice with sharp edges; it helps to wrap the bag in a towel so your hands don't freeze along with the cream...
The Cliffe Mom

Ellie said...

Some post-show commentary:

Overall: Excellent!
Best quote: Enough!
Question to ponder: I'm still wondering where the found Barney Smith. That was crazy! If you were watching a commercial station (we were tuned into PBS), Barney Smith was a factory worker and former Republican whose job was shipped overseas...he gave this weird, over-rehearsed speech and then at the end said, "I want a president who puts Barney Smith before Smith Barney!" It was so clever, hokey, and funny, all at the same time.

What did you think?

Anonymous said...

Hi Ellie et. al.,

I too thought the speech was great. We haven't been able to watch much because of evening meetings, so I've been reading the texts the morning after the speeches were given. But last night, we watched Barack. I was so proud. Often, as a 55 year old, I feel our generation hasn't done much to overcome prejudice, poverty, war,pollution etc. And, truthfully, we haven't. But last night I felt proud that FINALLY we have nominated a candidate that is one-half non-white. That is a start. And he got there on the prayers of millions of people.

Today I hooted (with joy) when I heard that McCain nominated a woman with five kids and only two years of non-local political experience. I'm all for women in politics, of course, but I think the conservatives won't like her. "Why isn't she home with her kids?" "If she has to choose between our nation and her children, she'll choose her kids." I don't think she'll be an asset to McCain. Of course, I could be wrong.

Well, go, Barack, go!! I'll keep praying! Love, Mom