Monday, September 28, 2009

getaway

I really didn't mean to drop off the face of the earth. If you're one of my coworkers, you know I haven't. In fact, you may want to see less of me. But if you're my husband or another loved one, you might be convinced that I have. Not so.

Where have I been? For nearly a month now, I've been a one-woman team, and it's going much better than I expected. My flash drive has been indispensable, and Ian has been extremely understanding when I have to sit down at my computer to push through a few more Word docs before bedtime (thank you!). We've interviewed several great candidates for the vacant editorial assistant position but haven't decided who'll make the round-two cut -- I'm hoping to make an offer by mid-October...that still seems like a long way off. At least I'm never bored at work!

I'm making a conscious effort not to go insane. When I need a break from the constant stream of content, I take a mental getaway to the cottage pictured above. It was once Washington Irving's home; Ian and I passed by a few weekends ago when we were hiking in the Hudson River Valley. The house is called Sunnyside -- wouldn't it be cool to have a house with a name?! -- and it felt so bucolic, and so, so calm. Time seemed to slow way down there, like I could have just sat and existed, or watched boats sail past on the Hudson, or journaled, or danced barefoot through the garden. This is a place where people can breathe. I feel relaxed already.

Do you have a place like that?

1 comment:

morethan15minutesoffame said...

I feel your pain but not because we're short-staffed. There's just a lot of stuff going on right now. My place would probably be a pedestrian bridge near my home. The bridge overlooks a river, and it's a picturesque area of the city.