Tuesday, April 20, 2010

on, wisconsin!

Last Saturday, I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon in Madison, and it happened to be the first day of the outdoor farmers' market. Capitol Square was packed. It was so gratifying to finally see Wisconsin cheese, Wisconsin maple syrup, and Wisconsin produce instead of the Vermont and upstate New York stuff.

But that wasn't the end of my own little state pridefest. It was all Wisconsin, all day long. Ian and I ate lunch at The Old Fashioned, where everything on the menu -- plus the 18 tap beers -- featured local ingredients (Door County cherries) or was a cult favorite (fried cheese curds). Yum. Go there.

Our day culminated with one more must-do Wisconsin activity: the UW Varsity Band concert. They were as good as ever, and this being our fight song's centennial, we heard "On, Wisconsin!" no less than five times.

I know I've said this already, but it's so good to be back in kinder, gentler Wisconsin (I could do without the redneck-ier part).

What's your favorite thing about the place you live?

1 comment:

Jenny Mom said...

Great to see you are blogging again. I love the words and admire your fine photography. Thank you!