Sunday, October 18, 2009

chili night

Chili is one of those foods I crave for days -- probably because I think about it until I actually have time to make a batch (rare these days). Ian must have been tired of hearing about it, because he finally suggested we make a recipe we'd tried last year and loved (good thing I never throw away my cooking magazines). Saturday was dreary, and the perfect time to putter around the apartment while the chili perked in the slow cooker. He even had the ingenious idea to invite some friends over to enjoy it with us (it feeds a crowd). So what could have been a drizzly, boring Saturday ended up being quite fun while we got ready for Candice and Bryan's visit.

Smoky Slow Cooker Chili
modified from this Cooking Light recipe
(serves 8 hungry people)

Our changes:
  • Use pork loin instead of pork shoulder
  • Swap in 3 medium onions for the 3 cups
  • Use 3 poblano peppers instead of a green pepper (if you want extra heat)
  • Sub 7 oz. tomato sauce and a chopped serrano pepper instead of the spicy tomato sauce (we couldn't find it)

For sides, Ian baked corn bread and I threw together the tangy mandarin orange salad that both of our moms make. Yum yum yum.


The night was a huge hit -- chili included. If you have a slow cooker, I highly recommend you make this. It freezes well too, so you can put that craving to rest in minutes.

No comments: