Thursday, October 23, 2008

it's fall!

The way the forecasts were looking, I was afraid we'd go straight from unseasonably hot to bitter cold overnight, but fall is finally showing itself. I can smell it. And feel it -- I've finally been able to bring my amazing red coat out of dormancy. So on Tuesday night, I decide we should be able to taste it too. We declared it "No TV Night" and after dinner, when we'd normally immerse ourselves in TV, we opted to play a game of Scrabble instead, and enjoy a batch of baked apples. We ought to do that more often.


Not quite sure what to call this.
Apple Pie Innards sounds...unappetizing. Any ideas?
(Loosely based on Martha Stewart's Vanilla-Bean Baked Apples)

ingredients
2 tart-sweet apples (peeling is optional; I used Macoun apples, my new favorite)
1 1/2 Tbl. light brown sugar, packed
2 tsp. butter, softened
1 1/2 Tbl. pecans, toasted and chopped (the toasting is so important here, so don't skip it!)
1/2 tsp. vanilla (I used double-strength, as usual)
Dash of salt

directions
1) Preheat oven to 375 F.
2) Chop apples into die-sized chunks
3) In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, butter, pecans, vanilla, and salt.
4) In a loaf pan, combine with apples and stir well to coat.
5) Cover loaf pan with aluminum foil and bake until apples are soft but not disintegrating, about 25 minutes.
6) Remove foil and allow to cool down a bit before serving over vanilla, cinnamon, or caramel ice cream.

Enjoy!

In other news, Jill and I went to The Libertine for dinner tonight. It was fantastic (I even tried sweetbreads). We even got to talk to Ian from time to time! I'm very excited to eat the 7/8 of my burger that I saved for lunch tomorrow (I had sooo much food -- I even tried sweetbreads and oysters!). Still stuffed. Anyway, the place is great, so I think it will just take a little more word-of-mouth and advertising and it will be packed every night. Now Jill and I are on a quest to encourage the Powers That Be to have The Knot holiday party in the upper lounge/library area before every night is booked for the next 42 years.

Oh, and I'm sure you're dying to know...Ian won. (And, thus, the battle rages on...)

No comments: